<

DC Green Yarns - Children's Author Site

Welcome to the crazy world of children's author and gonzo surf journalist, DC Green. Relax. There's heaps to do. Cackle at sample chapters from DC's latest laugh-loaded Erasmus James adventure. Drop a comment (but no cussing). Explore the mega links of things to do. Visit other writers. Check out DC's World Surf Media Guide. Or better still... order a book or seven!

03 May 2005

Review: "I could not contain my sniggers!"

Review: "I could not contain my sniggers!"

I feel compelled to tell all that DC Green is a great children's writer. Having had the pleasure and privilege to read Erasmus James and the Galactic Zapp Machine, I am in awe of his unique style. His use of alliteration is brilliant; 'back in time for breakfast, my backpack bloated with booty' and 'the kar was a korpse'. His play on words sent me into fits of laughter 'Oil's not Well'.


I would read the book on the train into work and could not contain my sniggers, giggles and 'ooooh, aaaahs' and eventually got used to the bemused commuter looks as the book cover shouts out 'children's novel!'

Stabasco sauce, MC Hammerhook, karpark, Uponia, tweetment for chooks and my favourite, Lameboy, brought out the child in me and I devoured every word. His imagination is so vivid and deep and so appealing to children of most ages with his constant references to films and pop icons.

The language of the protagonist is typical of an 'almost twelve year old' and yet one can read, albeit subtly, how this life-learning journey that Erasmus embarks upon, changes not only his perspective on life but his use of language symbolises his growth and new level of maturity.

DC Green's style of using four exclamation marks is novel (see page 163). Metaphors abound and I particularly love the one used towards the end of the book, quote, 'Let's make like a big zit and break out!'

Again, his 'today' language is, to coin a rather dreadful phrase, 'so in your face' that its appeal is immediate and what could be more immediate than 'his googling eyes'. Beneath this intelligent hilarity is an underlying message about life questions; facing one's demons and hates as Erasmus does throughout his journey into Uponia and most pertinently, his relationship with his Crazy Dad whose name is changed at the end of his journey to, Hero Dad.

I so look forward to reading more of this talented author's work. Laughter is such a tonic and Green's books are certainly that.

- Moira Anne Elliott, Australian Society of Editors.

3 Comments:

  • At Monday, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your insane

     
  • At Tuesday, August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi Dc Green i seen u at my school{MtWarrigal P.S}on Tuesday 29th of August.I absaloutly love your books. I'm going to send u a present on your birthday so i need your address and stuff like that and i'll give u mine.My birthday is May the 16th. Just to check is yours May the 14th?
    love from Sophie

     
  • At Tuesday, August 29, 2006, Blogger DC Green said…

    Hi Sophie,

    I had a lot of fun at Mt Warrigal too!

    Please don't post your surname or address on the internet - it isn't safe. I'll be happy if you just wish me a happy birthday here on... May 12. Taureans rule!!

    Cheers,

    DC

     

Post a Comment

<< Home